Monday, May 31, 2010

Neighborhood Parks

After two busy weeks of packing, throwing, unpacking, throwing I'm  finally settled (as much as can be expected) at my new home in Iowa. 

As we drove up to my son's home with two UHaul's, each with a car in tow and me driving another car in the middle, a sense of relief came over all three of us.  We were greeted by my daughter-in-law.   "Welcome Home" she called from the front lawn.  I'm sure we all breathed a sigh of relief.  I'm now confident she is ok with me moving in until I purchase my own home.

A couple of days of unpacking and throwing I am situated and ready to explore with my four excited grandchildren.  With a handful of days left of school, I'll have some time to settle in, work the division wide rummage sale, and prepare our itinerary. 

I'm reminded of the famous quote from the Wizard of Oz, "There's no place like home".  Neighborhood Parks are the first place to explore when thinking of summer in Iowa.  Checking out the City of Des Moines . web site you will notice that the City of Des Moines is responsible for the management of 72 parks, 3,225 acres of parkland, 40 miles of trails and numerous municipal facilities. 

Exploring does not have to be expensive.  This gives us 72 places where we can begin our exploration of Des Moines.  My grandchildren are old enough that they don't necessarily want me to play with them, they would prefer to play with each other.  So with my laptop or reading material in tow, we begin our first day of relaxing by visiting one of the parks.  Check out your city's web site under parks and recreation and begin your summer adventure by mapping out and exploring your city parks.  Don't forget the sunscreen!

No comments: